Wednesday, November 16, 2011

November 16, 2011

It's Wednesday! It's Wednesday! That means it's
Anything Can Happen Day!

 So what’s going to happen today? Hmm, I think it’s going to be about…

CLEAN EATING

What is clean eating? Well, it’s not making sure your hands are washed before you eat, although that is important as well. Clean eating is about eating foods as close to their natural state as possible (known as “whole foods”). So basically, we’re talking fresh, fresh, fresh. Fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean proteins. No box ‘mac and cheese’, canned/tinned ‘beef stew’, real butter, not margarine. Clean eating is a Way of Eating, not a “DIET” like say Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach or Dukkan. In fact (or at least my experienced opinion) the best approach to South Beach and Dukkan is to eat whole foods or eat cleanly while applying their eating plans to your weight loss goal. 

According to Livestrong.com, there are five steps to Clean Eating --

Step 1
"Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Choose fresh, unprocessed foods over canned or processed products. Clean eating enthusiasts believe that we were meant to survive on fresh fruits and vegetables and that processing them reduces their nutritional value and fiber content and adds salt, fat, sugar and chemicals. Choose fruit instead of fruit juice and if you must pick a processed vegetable, frozen is always better than canned."

 Step 2
Balance protein and complex carbohydrates. Incorporate whole grains like brown rice or millet over processed grains. Eat lean meats, and choose organic or grass fed meats when possible as these foods are usually clean of pesticides, hormones and additives. Grill, broil or steam your meats rather than frying.
Step 3
Avoid sodas and high calorie, sugary drinks. Follow the tenant of clean eating that aims to remove added sugars from the diet. Choose water or tea for your beverages, or juice your own fruits and vegetables and enjoy them without added sugars or preservatives.
 Step 4
Trade bad fats for good fats. One of the most important aspects of clean eating is removing saturated fats from the diet. Lower your saturated fat intake by avoiding fast food, choosing lean cuts of meat and getting your fat calories from foods like nuts and fatty fish.
 Step 5
Eat several small meals to keep blood sugar stable and to avoid overeating. Choose snacks like nuts, low-fat or fat free dairy and fruits and vegetables. Note that some people who live a clean eating lifestyle don't eat dairy products while others adapt clean eating to a vegetarian lifestyle.
The photos included here are from Clean Eating Magazine's "Comfort Foods 2011" Special Issue. "With 101 nourishing, never-before-seen recipes, this book is your answer to the winter blues! Features include comforting 15-minute meals, simple slow-cooker recipes, revamped cheese classics and soups, stews & chilies."And they're so tasty, too!
 While we haven't made the total switch to clean eating, my little family is probably at 65% Clean. As the boys learn to prepare meals on the stove and in the oven, I add about 2% a month. Of course, with all things healthy, it can be expensive to eat clean. Clean Eating Magazine has loads of helpful items to make things easier to achieve your goals. Each issue (and available online for free) are shopping lists for the recipes in each issue and each issue includes a set of budget menus and a shopping lists for those as well!

Ain't life grand!?! Are you eating clean?

Resources for this information: Livestrong.com, CleanEatingMagazine.com

18 comments:

  1. We've been eating clean before it had a name. I've always avoided processed foods and imitation anything. Love the post! - popped in from the etsy blog team :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was eating clean without even really knowing it! I'm a big fruit & veggie girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing a bit at a time. This week I've stopped using sweetener in my coffee. I read the livestrong site, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a lot closer to this when I was 100% vegan... now I live with my parents and don't have my own kitchen to stock, which makes things harder! But I want to get back on the wagon!

    Lovely and inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post. It didn't mention Avocados though and I really like them as a healthy fat. I also have read that frozen veggies have more vitamins than fresh...due to fresh sitting around a long time. Have you read anything about that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is awesome information on whole foods

    ReplyDelete
  7. the pics looks so good - that's all I need to be convinced:)) Thanks for the reminder, we need to be reminded as often as possible as food is something we need to make a choice about every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I liked fresh veggies. But I don't. I hope the cooking I do does not negate all the goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, 2 posts on food already. I'm not doing any of this and my pants can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so true. When I eat this way I feel so much better, have more energy and lose weight.

    Unfortunately...I slip now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I read this BEFORE eating an unwashed head of lettuce. I do eat 'clean' foods I just get lazy on the washing sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry...I made spelling mistake at the comment before(so i delete it)
    Thank you. I like that post !!
    I grew up in this kind of home so i really use to it and like it :) I hate can's and frozen food ;-)
    and the funny thing no one believe me that.... I HATE ketchup. Stay clean Stay Healthy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for your comments. Rachel - I'm with you, don't like ketchup or ranch dressing (gasp!). My youngest just started using ketchup since he started school, but my middle boys don't eat it either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Artisanallunwound - yes, avocados are a fab healthy fat. Clean eating magazine has a great cookbook that goes into so much more detail than this little blurb. I have heard both sides of the coin on frozen vs fresh. I like fresh, but usually on farmer's market days where I can get local and clean and vitamin rich. Otherwise, I stock the freezer with frozen veggies, but I only purchase enough for the week. That way they don't stay so long either. Try to look for healthier brand choices (Trader Joe's / Whole Foods / etc) for frozen veggies also. And always read your expiration dates. The closer to the expiration date, the longer it has been sitting in frozen animation (read risks of freezer burn/freezer rot/re-freeze poisons).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I changed my diet to control migraines. It is so important to eat whole foods. There is more and more research showing all the benefits. I had not seen Clean Eating Magazine before - thanks for sharing this resource!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is similar to the diet I have to follow for medical reasons. Albeit mine has some vegetables that are restricted because of digestion issues. I think its a great way to live but it does take a bit of time and some commitment to follow through :)

    ReplyDelete