Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween! I wasn't sure about writing about Halloween today, since there seems to be such a split amongst the masses about it, but then I said "What the heck!" and did it anyway. Dressing up for Halloween and trick or treating has been something my sisters and I have done with our kids for the last 23 years. We always dress up as a family around a theme, so it's even more fun, when we're out and people realize that we are a whole idea and singular parts hanging out together. The year my oldest son was born, trick or treating happened the day before he was induced. We went as "Disney's Peter Pan", I was Tinkerbell, ha ha, can't you just picture that one? My DD was Tiger Lily, Nephew was Peter Pan, his mom was Wendy, his dad Captain Hook, other sister was Smee. We had a ball! Another year, we dressed the kids as Nintendo DS' (the original, thank you very much) and we each went as a game cartridge (used lots of gray sheets, fabric markers and paint and wunderwebbing).

Last year, I found a book called "The Halloween Tree" by Ray Bradbury and read it to my boys over the week leading up to Halloween. Here's the jist of the story -


A group of eight boys set out to go trick-or-treating on Halloween, only to discover that a ninth friend, Pipkin, has been taken away on a journey that could determine whether he lives or dies. Through the help of a mysterious character named Moundshroud, they pursue their friend across time and space through Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greek, and Roman cultures, Celtic Druidism, Notre Dame Cathedral in Medieval Paris, and The Day of the Dead in Mexico. Along the way, they learn the origins of the holiday that they celebrate, and the role that the fear of death has played in shaping civilization. The Halloween Tree itself, with its many branches laden with jack-o'-lanterns, serves as a metaphor for the historical influence of these traditions.

The boys loved it!! I did as well. As a Catholic kid, I knew about All Saint's Day, and a teeny tiny bit about All Hallow's Eve, but the information in this story was sooo cool! If you get the chance, pick it up at your local library - Support Libraries!! - read it, you'll be delighted.

Here are a few "Halloween Tree" illustrations, I found while surfing the WWW.






Do you have any great Halloween reads or favorite films? Tell me yours and I'll check them out!


Well, I'm off to start prepping costumes for Hallelujah Night and Trunk-n-Treat at the church tonight! Enjoy your day, however you celebrate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment